…or how to launch a new rugby kit with holograms
What’s the story
– Canterbury are the Official Apparel Partner of the British & Irish Lions and needed to drive commercial sales ahead of the 2017 tour to New Zealand.
– Rugby players often do not touch their match jersey until they’ve earned the right to do so. This insight was used to creatively bring the jersey to life as part of a fully integrated campaign running across PR, Digital and in-store.
“Will you follow in the footsteps of legends”
– To kick things off, a short film invited fans to begin their journey to New Zealand by pre-ordering the jersey.
– Canterbury then gave 30 Lions fans a sneak-peek of the new jersey 24 hours ahead of launch, delivering a unique hologram of the new shirt directly through the user’s smartphone. The reward was available only to those who had pre-ordered the jersey, a direct incentive to drive pre-sales.
– On the launch day the new jersey was unveiled to the rest of the world as a giant ‘untouchable’ hologram on the London Southbank, seen hovering above the skyline amongst the city’s most iconic buildings.
– 213 media articles across the tease and launch phases
– A total of 573,000 content views
Why we liked it
– A fully integrated campaign that drove earned media coverage, maximised Canterbury and British & Irish Lions owned channels, actively supported retailer partners and rewarded the most committed of supporters.
– A campaign that embodied the symbolism of the iconic red jersey but also mobilised Lions fans across the four nations.